Law Enforcement and Children: CIT-Y + REACT Information and Registration
Free Training!… POST Credits!… Free Food!
Download the CIT-Y/REACT Class Brochure
Who should attend?
- CIT Trained Police Officers
- EMPS Crisis Clinicians (second day only)
- Child Welfare Staff (second day only)
Note: EMPS & DCF staff will register through the Connecticut Clearinghouse
What is CIT-Y ?
Crisis Intervention Team—Youth (CIT-Y) is a new training curriculum developed by police officers for police officers to address youth-specific issues.
What is REACT?
Responding to Children of Arrested Caregivers Together (REACT) is an evidence-informed model promoting collaboration between families, law enforcement, EMPS mobile crisis clinicians, and child welfare to support children during and following the arrest of a caregiver.
What does the training entail?
This 1.5 day training will train CIT officers on the new CIT-Y training curriculum during the first full day. During the second-half day, officers will be joined by EMPS mobile crisis clinicians and child welfare staff for the introduction to the REACT model, which will cover procedures and clinical strategies to use when responding to children who are affected by their caregivers arrest. This training is an introduction of the full REACT model which involves integration into a full police department.
- Additional strategies for law enforcement when dealing with children
- Adolescent developmental concepts
- Youth crisis intervention, de-escalation and communication techniques
- Community resources to link youth to supports and services
- Minimizing childhood traumatic stress during a caregiver’s arrest
- Identifying needs of youth during the arrest of a caregiver
- Supporting children and families during the arrest of a caregiver
- Collaborating with EMPS mobile crisis clinicians and child welfare
Register for 2014 CIT-Youth Training
Class times are 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM on the first day, and 8:30 AM – Noon on the second day. Refreshments and registration start at 8:00 AM.
2017 Training has not been scheduled yet